Monday, February 20, 2006

Right decision?

5 days ago, I was appointed as the Head of Postgraduate Studies.

Academics are funny people. Administration and research are often seen as 2 separate functions. There is even a perception that participating in one is always at the expense of the other. So if you decide to become and administrator, you choose a route that preclude the possibility of being a serious researcher. Almost like taking on one route can no longer commit you to the ethos of the other. Why is that, I wonder. I'm still a serious researcher. I have no doubt that my future lies in my research. I've hit my RAE targets and am only working towards my Chair now. I am also trying to hit A-list journals. But why not do administration work too?

So many have asked me - why do I do it.

There really isn't a simple answer to this so I will try to see if I can list it.

1. I like to solve problems. In the school, I see the postgraduate studies division as one with many problems. The problems fascinate and challenge me at the same time - so I want to know if I can solve it.

2. I need more resources to do research. That means 3 more PhD students working in my area. If I need to do more work so that I can get the funding to fund students that I want, so be it.

3. I like diversity in my work. It certainly makes my work less boring.

4. I like working with people (guess I'm a service person after all). So any job that works with people is an interesting job.

5. I simply cannot believe that a good administrator cannot be a good researcher. I'd like to prove them wrong. So there.

6. I like to make a difference. I suppose this is the same motivation behind my research. I only like to write papers that make a difference in that area. So by taking up the job, I hope to make a difference.

OK, so let's see what I have on my plate:

1. Research projects

Journal of Marketing Education paper – to revise and resubmit
Journal of Strategic marketing paper – to revise and resubmit
Marketing Science paper – to revise and resubmit
European Journal of Marketing paper – to submit
Leverhulme research proposal
Pricing Intermediating Services paper
Book to finish by end of the year
Marketing Science paper to review

2. Head of PGS

3. Teaching

No teaching this semester but I have 16 dissertation students

4. KOGAS lectures

5. Consulting (KTP) work with Bristol Fluid System Technologies and Static Burst

6. Doing my PhD in education

<<>> oh dear.... it really does look like a lot...

Nah.... being in industry is worse. Only by academic standards does this look too much.

It actually doesn't look so bad. I think last year was worse. This year, Paul (PhD student) is a great help in collaborating on papers and reducing load.

Still, this year will probably test my productivity levels as I also will be travelling a lot. March in China, April in Taiwan, May in France, July in Hong Kong, September in New York/Pennsylvania.

Anyway, let's see. This job might truly prove to be bigger than me. Only time will tell.

No comments: