Yesterday was graduation day. The ceremony was lovely, Floella was absolutely delightful - the way she livened up the ceremony.
As an academic, I realise that sometimes we forget how much of what we do contribute to this moment - these graduates had to go through all the hard work, distance from home, managing and coping independently, they have learnt so much academically, socially, emotionally and we as academics are part of that learning. Yesterday was a reminder of one of the main reasons why I chose academia as my vocation.
There was so much joy and exhilaration in the air and I feel sorry for a few of them who have to stay behind in summer to do re-sits. This coming October, I will start my Head of Postgraduate Studies' speech for new students with pictures of the graduation - it's a strong motivation indeed, and I hope it will spur them on to make sure they are part of that graduation in July.
No comments:
Post a Comment