Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The potential top tier paper

After 1 and half years on the S4T project, numerous qualitative and quantitative analysis, loads of reading and writing, the paper targeting Journal of Marketing is finally ready. Now it's time to gauge the response.

I have sent it to Joe Hair and Barry Babin (of the Hair and Babin fame - the gurus of structural equation modelling), to Jaideep Prabhu at Judge Biz School (who is one of the JM reviewers) and to Bob Lusch and Steve Vargo (of the service dominant logic fame). These are the 5 most distinguished professors whom I know personally. Hopefully they can give me valuable feedback, tear it to shreds, etc. I wait in anticipation.

After being in academia for 7 years, I think I would be able to spot a good contribution. It needs a good theoretical grounding (we have that), a good narrative of the gaps (we have that, I think), methodologically sound (yup), and quantitatively and rigorously well analysed. It also has to be novel. It's also a very tall order. Our paper aims to be novel because (a) B2B research from a theoretical viewpoint isn't strong (b) there arent many B2B papers around because of difficulties in gaining access to the industry and (c) we analyse 2 contracts worth more th US$400m. The rarity of the access is novel and we do tell a good theoretical and empical story. BUT, its a complicated multi-disciplinary story to tell and it can easily be too complicated to write a parsimonious paper. Being multi-disciplinary, it may also not be able to find a disciplinary 'home', although I have written these in a marketing-centric fashion. We'll see. If I get this through, I can relax a little. Part 2 of this research is being written up in another paper targeted for JMR, another top tier journal. If BOTH get through, I think I can rest for awhile and have a good academic chair in 2 years. Getting a paper into a top tier journal takes years and I pray these 2 would make it.

No comments: