Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Stepping down as Lead Fellow

I saw the NHS placement fellowship call in October and I was tempted. Having just come out of a project with the NHS at Torbay Hospital, I felt I wanted to engage a bit more with healthcare. The placement fellowship meant 50% of my time wd be bought out for 6 mths and I wd be immersed in the NHS to do the research I would propose, based on their broad themes around designing performance indicators.

Problem is, I was already 95% bought out and 70% of it was because of my AIM fellowship. So clearly something has to give. I emailed the directors of AIM and they were supportive but felt that i won't have the time to do the lead fellow work. Also, if someone were to take over, the person shd take over for a year rather than six months. So they said that if I decide to apply, I will step down as lead upon application (10% of my time) and apply for suspension on my AIM research (60% of my time) if I was awarded.

I wasn't sure if I had any research to propose and the flight to Hawaii gave me some ideas. Meeting some great ppl in Hawaii doing researh in performance measures gave me some inspiration. The flight back helped me consolidate some ideas around the proposal and when I got back, I slept for 12hours and worked non stop for 14 hrs and put the whole proposal together in collaboration with IBM in almaden and karlsruhe in Germany.

The hard part was getting the school to agree for me to stay for a further 6mths in Cambridge (on top of the 3 yrs) but Rog helped with it.

Anyhow, the application was submitted, AIM okayed it and I officially stepped down today.


-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments: