I was in Singapore recently when someone said to me, 'you have so much energy and passion for your research and your work'
I have heard this before. My friends and fellow researchers have said this many times before and I've never paid any attention to it. I just took it as given that this was just me.
I've started reflecting on it and all of a sudden, it just doesn't make sense. My work doesn't help advance some puzzling aspect of physics, solve global poverty or do anything ground breaking. Yet I feel as though it's vital. That its important and it's big. But no, it's not. I'm just a researcher like any other. What makes my work any more important than others? And so, why should I feel so impassioned and energetic? It just doesn't add up. Why can't I feel like it's just a job, rather than a cause. And a cause for what? I cant even answer that! Why don't I see myself as normal when I really am. Am I delusional?
My passion and energy serves me well, in terms of getting the outputs, making a difference to companies and people. But these are expectations of any and every academic. I don't have to be so passionate or energetic about it. So why am I?
This is all rather perplexing. I can't stop the energy or the passion. But I remain puzzled by the reasons why I am so.
-- Posted from my iPhone
2 comments:
Strategy is my passion; passion is my strategy.
lol, that's like 'turtles all the way down' ....
Post a Comment